[FoRK] WTF?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed May 23 21:42:04 PDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 10:26 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> I would refute a tacit assumption you are making with the following
> observation:  almost no one is as interesting, intelligent,
> disciplined, and ambitious in meatspace as they appear to be when
> chatting on a mailing list.

I'm not actually making that assumption;  I'm merely asking:  are we
any of the above, and interested in focusing any of that in any
particular shared direction?  Could we be?  Should we be?  If so,
how?  If not, why?  There is a lot of raw horsepower here, both in IQ
and jawbone. ;-)  And I thoroughly believe in the power of the
jawbone to shift the course of things, so if that's all there is ---
well, that's fine, too.  In no way am I complaining;  FoRK has
enriched my life in countless ways.

I'm hoping to follow this up w/ a list of some of the things I want
to do but can't find the time, a list of causes, and a couple of
"paradigm shifting" ideas that I've been knocking around.  Just to
season the pot a bit before stirring:  Charlie Stross has an
interesting phrase --- evocative if only semi- and somewhat non-
sensically defined in his books:  venture philanthropist.  I'm also
interesting in figuring out how to cross the gap between open source,
limited time to focus on the things one might really be interested
in, and need to get paid for *lots* of talented developers (or
writers, or artists, or anybody who might be interested in
contributing to the IP commons...)  Second evocative phrase:  swarm
of angels.

Ironically I haven't had the time since the other night to write any
of this up in detail because, well, I'm too busy fighting "the money
problem."  (I'm rather fortunate in that what I'm doing day-to-day on
that front is right smack in the middle of what I'd be doing anyway
to solve some of the other interesting problems.  But for a large
part of my career, even when building my own companies, there was
inevitable conflict between the need to focus on the commercial task,
very constrained, and putting the effort into more leveraged and
forward-looking efforts...)  So a first-order question is:  how to
build the fulcrum to place the lever to move the world without
getting distracted by "the money problem?"

$0.02, more later.

jb