[FoRK] WTF?

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Thu May 24 09:45:05 PDT 2007

Jeff Bone:
>Look around at some of the folks doing really interesting and potentially
>important stuff: the swarm of post-dot-com billionaires
>that are variously attacking the commercial / low-price-to-orbit problem;
>the various prizes being offered to solve various computational Hard
>Problems (tm), sometimes  being funded by wealthy dilletantes;
>Shuttleworth's work in various  areas, which frankly I find *extremely*
>valuable;  etc. etc.

Interestingly, few of those billionaires address the hard social
problems. Given that social problems are very obdurate, for reasons
discussed previously, and that anyone trying to shift social inertia
will earn enemies, it may be the billionaire doing best in this regard
is Soros, judging entirely by those who hate him. Anyone who pisses off
both Ahmadinejad and James Dobson is bound to be doing something right.

;-)