[FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu May 24 11:59:53 PDT 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Albert S. wrote:

> This is an interesting theory but I'm not sure what
> you mean by "Cheney, who has actually been
> constructing the almost-perfect geopolitical and
> financial hedge for almost his entire career".

Basically only the following:  Cheney is at or near the very center
of both of these otherwise-conflicting efforts.

He's the official (meaning that literally, in the sense of Bush as
"current administration" rather than "patriarchal empire") bagman for
the Bush-Saud axis and its constituents.  (Consider the abrupt
Thanksgiving dash to Riyadh last year.  Their master beckons, they
come running.)  To be blunt, though, it's Baker that's the designated
Saudi agent-in-charge over here and the usual Bush-Saud liaison when
they're talking family business;  or indeed, it could even be claimed
that Baker's actually the central figure, and House Bush simply
opportunistically following his lead.  (There's reasonably good
evidence of that, in fact.)

The relationships between Cheney, Baker, Bush Sr., and Rumsfeld have
been complex in the extreme (not always chummy) going back to the
70s, leading in particular to some "interesting" politics during the
Reagan and Bush I eras...  (Bush Jr., of course, is a complete side-
show.)  The State-Pentagon struggle is in some sense a microcosm of
every major world conflict of the last several decades, and the same
figures and philosophies, and their ebb and flow, dominate.

Yet Cheney's also tight with the crypto-Trotskyite (permanent
revolution, think "war party") Straussians, in some sense their
patron (politically, if not financially) throughout the Clinton 90s.
Their policy of constant entropy-maximization and OPEC-busting suits
Cheney just fine;  he'll make it up on volume.  Hey, he's got an oil
field services company, a big-project construction company, revenue
streams from arms, infrastructure for moving large amounts of capital
around the planet relatively undetected, access to intelligence, a
buddy that runs the world's largest mercenary outfit, and various and
sundry other relevant bits and pieces.  All global-capable.  No
problemo, you angry liberal fuckheads!  Bring it on, muchachos!

Either outcome suits him just fine;  he has painstakingly over the
course of decades successfully pursued a long-term plan that gave him
himself a central place in the two dominant, struggling would-be US
hegemonic cabals of the last 30+ years, and engineered himself a
strongly positive financial outcome no matter who ultimately wins
that struggle.  Why'd he appoint himself veep?  Why, somebody has to
babysit things and make sure at least ONE of the plans comes off...

He's the most significant figure to play both sides of this fence,
and more successful at doing so than might be imagined possible.

Very impressive, really.

jb

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.
Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain.
 From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain."  --
Muad'Dib: Family Commentaries by the Princess Irulan