[FoRK] Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 43, Issue 23

Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> on Fri May 25 08:21:51 PDT 2007

On 5/25/07, Joe Barrera <joe-fork at barrera.org> wrote:
> Raina Kishor wrote:
>
> >  stop sending me ur messages.
>
> no.

signed up, and you did it anyway.  That wasn't a good idea, was it?
Second, you weren't able to figure out what was going on from context
once the list messages started flowing your way.  It's really not that
hard.  Down at the bottom of every single one of those messages that
were tormenting you was the tagline:

FoRK mailing list
http://xent.com/mailman/listinfo/fork

If you were a more literate person, not to say literary, you would
have gotten some kind of clue from the text saying "mailing list".
And if you were a more technical person you would have gone to the URL
in that tagline and figured out what was going on from the text.  (A
"url" is one of those thingies that starts "http://" (that's like one
of those thingies that starts "www." (Right, it's "a code"))).

So many missed opportunities to get a clue!  And then at the end of
this all, your plea out into the ether! Somebody has to help me!  Mom?
Dad?  Grandpa?  Anybody?  Hey you over there, Stranger By The Bus
Stop, make the pain go away!  Hm, that didn't work.  I'll try again:
Hey you over there, stranger who has no idea that I even exist, MAKE
THE PAIN GO AWAY!!!  Still no luck.  You stroke your chin.  Maybe you
are in a dream.

 "stop sending me ur messages." -- poignant in its blazing dumbness.
Which "u" did you want to do it?  Me?  Tom?  RK?  Friends of?  Is that
singular or plural?  Is it addressed to people who have actually
posted to the list during the time that you have been vexed by it, or
is it also for the lurkers who receive your mail without ever having
sent you a message?  What should people do who haven't sent you
messages yet?

Now you see what my question meant, I hope: what exactly the hell were
you thinking, Raina?