[FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Fri May 25 11:58:29 PDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:57:48AM -0400, Albert S. wrote:
> --- Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
[Alternative fuels]
> > I've seen absolutely no evidence that this is real "policy" rather
> > than rhetoric...
>
> Some evidence:
> http://www.cbot.com/cbot/docs/79564.pdf

That chart shows Ethanol production going from 6,000 MGal/yr in 06/07 to
10,000 MGal.yr 07/08 to 12,200 MGal/yr in 08/09.

In 2005, we were using 140,415 MGal/yr of gasoline.

Corn ethanol is an unsustainable boondoggle that enriches ADM and
Cargill, and will never even get within an order of magnitude of meeting
our current fuel consumption.  It's probably not causing major harm--the
natural gas and oil used to make the fertilizer and pesticies and run
the equipment just about balances out the value of the ethanol.

The best that can be said for it is that it MIGHT prime the pump for
cellulosic ethanol production, which is somewhat more sustainable.

This only addresses the supply side.  Demand-side is a whole 'nother thing.

--
Incidentally, if we were as interested in living longer are we are in
killing each other, we'd have solved this long ago.  -- Daynal