[FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Fri May 25 11:58:48 PDT 2007

This whole Ethanol fuel thing would be all hunky-dory if it didn't
take thousands of gallons of oil derivatives per acre to grow it.
The ONLY reason why Ethanol is a "cheaper" source of fuel is because
of all of the subsidies which exist in the US and Canada to nurture
the growth of canola and corn, from which Biodiesel and Ethanol can
be derived, instead of real crops that could end up on our dinner
table.  But here's the hitch:  we still need to import oil to grow
our gasoline in an Ethanol scenario.  Without oil-based fertilizers
and diesel for tractors and farm equipment, we would have no corn.

Our fields should be used to grow food, not gasoline.  Show me a
country that doesn't subsidize corn as a crop, and I'll show you a
country that thinks that Ethanol is a joke.

Follow the money, folks:

	http://www.harpers.org/archive/2004/02/0079915
	http://www.ianbell.com/2005/07/14/warning-labels-on-fat-kids/

BUSH is a big Ethanol supporter because it suits the short-sighted
needs of his constituents:  namely, red-state farmers and their
enslavers:  biotech companies like Monsanto who collectively spend
hundreds of millions of dollars per year lobbying in Washington.

North America in particular is addicted to corn, and it's affecting
us around every corner:

-  Our obesity epidemic is in large part the result of the overuse of
High Fructose Corn Syrup as a replacement for sugar,
-  The evolution of new species of control-resistant weeds and insect
is due to the corruptive influence of Genetically-Modified Corn and
Canola,
-  And now, we're hooking ourselves up to the Ethanol addiction.
Yippee!

Soon enough every square inch of arable land will be occupied by
canola and corn destined for soft drinks, junk food, and gas tanks.
And the intricate system of subsidies which allows people to declare
that HFCS is cheaper than sugar will continue to skew the economic
system so that these crops look viable, until someone has the balls
to stand up and declare how ridiculous the whole circle jerk has become.

Of course, no politician wants to confront the reality here, which is
that North American farming practises have been so poor that hearty
weed-like plants such as Corn and Canola are far easier to grow in
our increasingly depleted soil table.  This is a problem which
Europeans confronted centuries ago.

Like Hydrogen, Ethanol is a storage medium for fuel.  It's not a source.

-Ian.