[FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Fri May 25 19:28:12 PDT 2007

> BTW, corn subsidies are viewed by Farmer Bob as a God-given right in
> the US, and have been long before the current administration.

Farmer Tom here, well Tom whose wife's farm is rented out to a local
farmer....The things you can never tell for sure but always know they
will come are rain, sun and subsidies. My wife's dad  knew this so
well that he fused his computer geekness with his farmer roots  and
crafted a system for  keeping your crops in the right balance to yield
not only the best crop but the best subsidy...all packaged in an app
on atari 800's seeded around brown County SD...my wife spent part of
her childhood installing the systems in the famrer's houses. I have
actually touched a system that was only recently replaced with a pc:)-

The sad truth is without these subsidies most of if not all the
smaller farms would be hurting more so then they are now, for all the
work those people do most of them are barely making a living.  Other
than running multiple farms, such as the way the fella we are renting
out land out to is operating, being a megacorp or going the
organic/boutique/specialty type operation  I do not see why folks
would ever continue farming. Yes I have met folks who truly love it,
the land and working it but it is a tough living.

Not to come out in favor of subsidies, in a perfect world we would not
need them but as we can all attest to in our own ways the world we
have is far from that.

-tomhiggins