[FoRK] RE: Strawberry Fields Forever. And shrimp.

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Sat May 26 11:54:40 PDT 2007

The reason is because the REAL beneficiaries of farm subsidies are
companies like Monsanto, Bayer, and BASF who have established a long
gravy train by creating a dependency for farmers on their seed,
fertilizers, and pesticides.  Those companies lobby Washington HARD
to make sure those subsidies persist.  Monsanto's Chairman, CEO, and
President Hugh Grant made $16.11 million last year.

The US Government spent $41.9 billion on corn subsidies from 1995 to
2004.

I think it's safe to posit that these have little to do with the
romanticized notion of the hardscrabble American farmer.

-Ian.