[FoRK] Is Balkanization really a problem?

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Sun May 27 22:23:56 PDT 2007

On 27-May-07, at 11:47 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> You're right, balkanization by itself is not the problem.
> Balkanization (in the form we see it today) coupled with widespread
> systematic media bias promotes exactly that --- blind allegiance
> not to one "political movement" per se, but to a systematically
> manipulated and biased version of "the truth" with little
> opportunity to admit and consider facts that conflict with the
> "dogma" peddled in these little reality-distortion media backwaters.

Media bias exists everywhere.  It is unavoidable, especially as it
intersects with commerce or political control.  In societies where
the media is especially influential, countries have slid or sit near
the bottom in  key categories like Education, a declining Middle
Class, and Economic Slowdown.  Sound like a country you know?

Guess what:  Among adults age 25 to 34, the U.S. is ninth among
industrialized nations in the share of its population that has at
least a high school degree.  People don't learn to discern "truth",
if there is such a thing, from positioning statements.  A growing
percentage of the populace are stupid and emotional, rather than
considerate and logical, and that makes them easy to manipulate.

More concerning to me is a deep-rooted self-interest and sense of
entitlement, which runs right to the very fibre of the foundation of
the nation.  That collective and individual arrogance is more
difficult to contend with.

-Ian.