[FoRK] Is Political Fragmentation really a problem?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon May 28 17:55:09 PDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Albert S. wrote:

> --- Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> It seems to me that you are being sloppy in your
>> argument.  What,
>> exactly, is your point again?  I think I made mine.
>
> My point is exactly that you are being sloppy in your
> arguement. Your projection of that onto me makes that
> obvious.

No, sloppy is assuming that when I say "balkanization" that I do not
in fact mean balkanization" but rather "political fragmentation."

> The United States is a very polarized democracy, it
> has been for a long time. You have next to no clue
> what you are talking about.

No, *you* clearly have no clue what I'm talking about, as you clearly
haven't either bothered to read or been able to understand what I've
said.  I have NOT ONCE denied that the United States has been a very
polarized democracy for a long time.  In fact, to help you along with
your ESL classes, let me quote for you a very precise point I made
earlier, in reply to James:

"The surprising bit today isn't the polarization, the partisan
rancor, etc. --- in fact we're well below the historical peaks on
those dimensions."

So let's get it straight, shall we?  You and I *agree* on the
polarization issue.  It's not the problem I'm referring to.

jb