[FoRK] Another quip from Gore's book

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon May 28 18:40:30 PDT 2007

So, it seems apparent that it will be Barack or Clinton at the top of
the D. ticket with Barack or Clinton or Gore as vice.  And the odd
politico out given an offer at chief of staff or something.  If it were
me, I'd take all of the bright guys running (Edwards et al) and give
them top jobs, setting up a farm team for one or two terms out.

Vs. Giuliani w/ McCain as vice.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/05/25/voters_would_invite_giuliani_obama_to_picnic_poll/

Jeff Bone wrote:

> You know, I haven't read *any* of Gore's other books.  I did see his
> recent movie, and thought it was a pretty good piece of work.  But
> reading Assault over the weekend in bits and pieces, I find myself
> very impressed by his ability to turn a phrase.  If he's always been
> this good a writer, then it's both mysterioud and a damn shame that he
> was such a wooden speaker in the 2000 election.
>
> Here's a bit that I found particularly well-worked:
>
> "The derivation of just power from the consent of the governed depends
> upon the integrity of the reasoning process through which that consent
> is given.  If the reasoning process is corrupted by money and
> deception, then the consent of the governed is based on false
> premises, and any power thus derived is inherently counterfeit and
> unjust.  If the consent of the governed is extorted through
> manipulation of mass fears, or embezzled with claims of divine
> guidance, democracy is impoverished.  If the suspension of reason
> causes a significant portion of the citizenry to lose confidence in
> the integrity of the process, democracy can be bankrupted.
>
> "If citizens no longer participate, those among them who notice signs
> of corruption or illogic have no way to voice their concerns and
> summon the attention of others who, upon examining the same evidence,
> might share their dismay.  No critical mass of opposition can form
> among individuals who are isolated from one another, looking through
> one-way mirrors in soundproof rooms, shouting if they with but still
> unheard.  If enough citizens cease to participate in its process,
> democracy dies."
>
> I cannot even imagine George W. Bush being able to parse, much less
> recite, much less still craft such statements.
Amen brotha.  "Wha'd he say?  Heh heh.  He's the thinker, but I'm the
Decider!  He makes you feel stupid.  I make you feel smart!"
> jb
>
> PS - note the critical words "who are isolated from one another" ---
> that isolation or insularity being the operative factor in my choice
> of the term "Balkanization" rather than Albert's more innocuous and
> beside-the-point alternatives.
Now now, we are mighty sensitive to our fellow Brights tonight, aren't we?