[FoRK] Is Balkanization really a problem?

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue May 29 09:51:30 PDT 2007

On 5/27/07, Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> wrote:
> More concerning to me is a deep-rooted self-interest and sense of
> entitlement, which runs right to the very fibre of the foundation of
> the nation.  That collective and individual arrogance is more
> difficult to contend with.

  I don't understand;  What's the "entitlement" bug going around
  right now?

  As far as I know, this country was founded on a sense of entitlement.

  """
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one
people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with
another, and to assume, among the Powers of the earth, the separate
and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God
entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires
that they should declare the causes which impel them to the
separation.
  """

  I'm sure somebody somewhere was saying,
    "Entitle?  ENTITLE?  Who do these nuts think they are?  They have
     no entitlement.  They are not FREE people.  They have to pay for
     every scrap of respect and liberty they can muster.  People must earn
     what they have, by right suffering;  It is a natural law."

  It's actually true; They *did* have to struggle for that liberty, and they
  *did* pay price for it.  But it's something they wanted, and something
  they worked for.

  My hope is that people feel more and more entitled over time.  I think
  basic income would be a great thing, and would consider it a mark of
  progress if we reached it.  I'm *glad* that people feel entitled to freedom
  from racism, sexism, and so on.  I think we're entitled to the works of
  the past authors, as well.  I think we're entitled to a justice system.
  I think we're entitled to have a say in how the government works.  There
  are plenty of things I believe we are entitled to, by birthright.

  So, what is it this "entitlement" issue that's going around, and what's the
  thing that I myself would find disagreeable in it?

  -- Lion