Strawberry Fields Forever Re: [FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Tue May 29 10:00:51 PDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:22:12PM -0700, Gordon Mohr wrote:
> Tom Higgins wrote:
> >The sad truth is without these subsidies most of if not all the
> >smaller farms would be hurting more so then they are now, for all the
> >work those people do most of them are barely making a living. <snip>
>
> If we are spending tens of billions of dollars on farm subsidies to
> provide this 'small farmer' constituency with the rustic, hardscrabble
> experience they crave, might it not it be cheaper to just build them a
> giant theme park?

Actually, we're spending tens of billions of dollars to provide the
'agribusiness' constituency with the corporate-welfare experience they
crave.  The farmers themselves are just conduits for the money, and are
mostly having a squeezed-dry-by-your-suppliers experience.

AFAIK, the 'small farmer' constituency doesn't get squat for subsidies.
Especially if they're running mixed and/or organic farms.  The subsidies
mostly pay for stupid, soil-damaging, water-polluting corn/soybean
monoculture, and other weird stuff like milk that's cheaper than water.

BTW, there's a movement to tweak the current farm bill and let the
local/sustainable/organic folks have some scraps of the largesse.
Meantime, once they get past the chemical->organic transition period,
they do OK since their input and seed costs go way down, and their
revenues go way up.

You get what you pay for,
  Aaron