Strawberry Fields Forever Re: [FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Tue May 29 10:15:02 PDT 2007

On 29-May-07, at 10:00 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:22:12PM -0700, Gordon Mohr wrote:
>> Tom Higgins wrote:
>>> The sad truth is without these subsidies most of if not all the
>>> smaller farms would be hurting more so then they are now, for all
>>> the
>>> work those people do most of them are barely making a living. <snip>
>>
>> If we are spending tens of billions of dollars on farm subsidies to
>> provide this 'small farmer' constituency with the rustic,
>> hardscrabble
>> experience they crave, might it not it be cheaper to just build
>> them a
>> giant theme park?
>
> Actually, we're spending tens of billions of dollars to provide the
> 'agribusiness' constituency with the corporate-welfare experience they
> crave.  The farmers themselves are just conduits for the money, and
> are
> mostly having a squeezed-dry-by-your-suppliers experience.

Right ...

The "hardscrabble" farmer is marketing perpetrated in congress by
AgriBusiness lobbyists whenever subsidies are threatened or further
required.  Actual hardscrabble farmers live outside the Government-
 >Monsanto corporate welfare system and are frequently sued by
Monsanto when, for example, seed blows from one of their customers'
farms onto neighbouring land and contaminates the crops:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc._v._Schmeiser

They've also sued their customers for saving seed from one one
season's crop to plant the next.  They claim to pursue about 500 of
those cases per year.

Sounds like the RIAA.

On the way down, only the lawyers get rich.

-Ian.