[FoRK] Lina

Gordon Mohr <gojomo at boxbe.com> on Tue May 29 10:54:02 PDT 2007

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Gordon Mohr wrote:
>> Not sure I get the point. What's the Linux app you need to run
>> under Windows, with a Windows look-and-feel?
> I think the look and feel thing is just an aspect of what they're doing
> that would only work for libraries where they have been able to
> substitute, wrap, modify the standard versions.  They mention Gnome.
> KDE would be another obvious choice.  Maybe they are doing something
> unusual and clever.
>
> The point is to turn the Linux binary environment into a portable
> VM-like development target.  It seems a minor goal to run current
> applications and a major goal to create a Java-like development target
> for future applications, including enterprise and commercial applications.

I can see that being interesting... but there is so much happening with
full virtualization, I wonder if the LINA approach will be as
robust/maintainable/honest as simply virtually running a mainline Linux
distro when needed.

For example, Parallels for running Windows on Macs has a 'coherence'
mode where the Windows desktop disappears and the Windows app windows
mix freely on the native desktop (though not with Mac look-n-feel). If
such an option were available for Linux-on-Windows -- and it's only a
matter of time if it is not already -- wouldn't that be nicer than LINA?
More powerful at less risk?

  - Gordon