[FoRK] Is Balkanization really a problem?

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Tue May 29 11:27:11 PDT 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 10:23:56PM -0700, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> In societies where the media is especially influential, countries
> have slid or sit near the bottom in key categories like Education, a
> declining Middle Class, and Economic Slowdown.

That's a *very* interesting factoid.  Where'd ya get it?

> Guess what:  Among adults age 25 to 34, the U.S. is ninth among
> industrialized nations in the share of its population that has at
> least a high school degree.  People don't learn to discern "truth",
> if there is such a thing, from positioning statements.  A growing
> percentage of the populace are stupid and emotional, rather than
> considerate and logical, and that makes them easy to manipulate.

Remember how 'Rhetoric' used to be the 'third R'?

> More concerning to me is a deep-rooted self-interest and sense of
> entitlement, which runs right to the very fibre of the foundation of
> the nation.  That collective and individual arrogance is more
> difficult to contend with.

You been hangin' out with furriners agin?

We all know it's screwed up 'round here.  We each seem to have different
diagnoses.  My own, based on watching people sleepwalk and multitask
through as much of their lives as possible, is "lack of engagement", but
I feel I'm missing something.  (Or maybe I'm just too intense.)

--
As for the intolerance and intellectual snobbery, I own up to having
those qualities occasionally, although I disagree with your statement