[FoRK] Verizon DSL wireless woes...

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue May 29 11:30:27 PDT 2007

Corinna wrote:
> Grrr...
>
> I never thought I'd say this, but I think SBC DSL was much better. Or at least,
> the equipment they provided was much better.
>
> Verizon DSL doesn't like it when I hibernate my laptop. So I have to completely
> shutdown every time. When I bring it back up, I also have to reboot the modem.
> And then it takes forever to establish the connecttion. Plus it's slower than
> SBC was. Bleh.
>
> Verizon can't help me configure my old wireless router/modem. The tech very
> nicely explained that they were not trained to support 2Wire, and that he could
> not give me the technical details I needed (prototcol-related numbers, etc). I'm
> not sure he understood my question...
>
> I *don't* want to buy another one, but I have to be able to use my computer in
> the other room, and we have 3 computers, so I really want wireless.
>
> Is it possible to set up a bridge using an XP desktop, the wired modem, and the
> wireless modem? The desktop has a ethernet and wireless card. I don't have a
> first clue how to do this, or if I need any other hardware.

You can do it with Linux.  I just tried with WinXP and it didn't seem to
work at all.

Just go buy new WiFi units.  Really good ones are $40-50, hardly worth
fighting over.  Old ones often stop working due to apparent analog
component failure and they are often behind on support for newer crypto
anyway.

If you get a router working, you shouldn't have any more problems with
shutdowns, rebooting, etc.  I use a DLink pocket router to bridge hotel
wired networks; works great and I only have to confirm the agreement
once for all computers / sessions.

sdw