[FoRK] Lina

Gordon Mohr <gojomo at boxbe.com> on Tue May 29 12:03:17 PDT 2007

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> For example, Parallels for running Windows on Macs has a 'coherence'
>> mode where the Windows desktop disappears and the Windows app windows
>> mix freely on the native desktop (though not with Mac look-n-feel). If
>> such an option were available for Linux-on-Windows -- and it's only a
>> matter of time if it is not already -- wouldn't that be nicer than
>> LINA? More powerful at less risk?
> The difference is between having a heavyweight alternate environment,
> taking tens of GB of space and taking deliberate installation effort,
> and getting and installing an application CD or download like any other
> and immediately starting to use it with no planning, sysadmin work,
> etc.  That's what they are after, based on the web site and their first
> video demo.  The former can be handled by savvy users, the latter by anyone.

The no-cost VMWare Player and its 'appliance' images are essentially at
the ease level of downloadable apps or installable/bootable CDs -- and I
expect other open-source virtualization options will approach the same
ease over time.

It will be interesting to see how, in practice, the system load (in
terms of RAM and HD space) varies for the same app running in LINA vs. a
full virtual Ubuntu.

If LINA is only saving a few GB of disk and couple hundred MB of RAM,
that's not enough of an advantage to outweigh any quirks or limitations
versus the full virtualized Linux.

- Gordon