[FoRK] Is Balkanization really a problem?

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue May 29 13:40:01 PDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Kevin Elliott <K-Elliott at wiu.edu> wrote:
> At 9:41 -0700  on  5/29/07, Lion Kimbro wrote:
> >  I'm trying to reconcile how Pirates of the Caribbean is the most
> >  popular movie, while our politics run directly opposite.
>
> ?
>
> I'll take a stab- people like movies with lots of funny lines and
> sword swinging fun.  They don't care and probably didn't even notice.
> But that's just a guess...

  I agree that people (A) don't care, and (B) don't notice.

  That does not mean that a movie does not signify or "do anything."
  Movies make language and ideas, and people in plain language
  justify arguments and cite movies as reference.

  Of course, they don't *call* them references and footnotes, but
  taken essentially, it's exactly what happens.

    "Well, if you were in Star Wars, you'd be on the side of the
     Rebellion, right?"

  I've seen this argument carry weight before, and this is not uncommon.

  I don't think people can really enthusiastically enjoy a movie
  that has an underlying philosophy that runs against the grain
  of their pre-existing thinking.  Not unless it argues it's point,
  and appeals to what the people are already open minded to.

  In a social group of people, there are people with different
  degrees of sensitivity to underlying messages.  Those with
  more sensitivity start to say, "It's a bad movie," and it has
  influence over individual enjoyment of the film.

  That's my take.

> "Yo Ho Ho... A pirates life for me!!"
>
> Out of curiosity- what is the politics of Pirates of the Caribbean?

  So, the nice thing about movies is that they can communicate
  incredibly complicated situations and ideas, with far less confusion
  than normal.

  But if I were to say there was a politics to Pirates, (which there
  isn't,) I'd say it is some variant of Libertarianism in the original
  Anarchist tradition (freedom from State & Corporation, rather
  than just freedom from State, the modern form.)

  It has more to do with human values and trade and ideals and
  ideas, than it has to do with "Hey stupid kids, get off my lawn;
  It's my property!"

  But it's distinctly about capital-L Liberty and capital-F Freedom.
  I think they said those exact words a few times.

  Interestingly:
  The latest movie begins (very beginning) with the suspension
  of right to assembly, habeus corpus, and so on, by the East
  India Trading Company with state support.