[FoRK] Is Balkanization really a problem?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue May 29 13:47:15 PDT 2007

Kevin Elliott wrote:
> "Yo Ho Ho... A pirates life for me!!"
>
> Out of curiosity- what is the politics of Pirates of the Caribbean?
Pirates of that era are considered to have created the first free and
fully democratic society, complete with a constitution of sorts.

Of course, they weren't laws really, more guidelines.  ;-)

Captains were chosen by vote and could be voted out.  Each pirate earned
a share of the take, etc.  I think I learned that years ago in Savannah,
GA.  There is an inn there dating from pirate days.  There was a secret
passage to the beach where they would spirit away drunken men to force
them into piracy, after getting them full of spirits of course.  The inn
has an awesome southern brunch.