Pirate Democracy, was: Re: [FoRK] Is Balkanization really a problem?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue May 29 13:57:43 PDT 2007

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Kevin Elliott wrote:
>> "Yo Ho Ho... A pirates life for me!!"
>>
>> Out of curiosity- what is the politics of Pirates of the Caribbean?
> Pirates of that era are considered to have created the first free and
> fully democratic society, complete with a constitution of sorts.
>
> Of course, they weren't laws really, more guidelines. ;-)
>
> Captains were chosen by vote and could be voted out. Each pirate
> earned a share of the take, etc. I think I learned that years ago in
> Savannah, GA. There is an inn there dating from pirate days. There was
> a secret passage to the beach where they would spirit away drunken men
> to force them into piracy, after getting them full of spirits of
> course. The inn has an awesome southern brunch.
>
> sdw
http://www.physorg.com/news70726212.html

Pirates pursued democracy, helped American colonies survive

Pirates - Follow the Lineage of Maritime Crime from Morgan to Calico Jack.
www.History.com

Pirate Booty - Everything yer Pirate Heart Desires Fashion, Swag and
Unique Treasures
www.eclecticbydesign.com

Pirates - Top 6 Websites For Pirates
www.picks-finder.com

Jason Acosta who studied pirates for his history thesis at the
University of Florida shows his pirate paraphernalia including a replica
of a 17th century pirate flintlock gun and sword on May 10 2006. Pirates
deserve more credit than the Hollywood st ...
Jason Acosta, who studied pirates for his history thesis at the
University of Florida, shows his pirate paraphernalia, including a
replica of a 17th century pirate flintlock gun and sword, on May 10,
2006. Pirates deserve more credit than the Hollywood stereotype of
bloodthirsty one-eyed peg-legged men who bury treasure and force people
to walk the plank, Acosta said. They helped European nations explore the
Americas and practiced the same egalitarian principles as our Founding
Fathers, he said. Acosta is a descendant of a pirate who fought in the
Battle of New Orleans. (University of Florida/Kristen Bartlett)

Blackbeard and Ben Franklin deserve equal billing for founding democracy
in the United States and New World, a new University of Florida study finds.
Pirates practiced the same egalitarian principles as the Founding
Fathers and displayed pioneering spirit in exploring new territory and
meeting the native peoples, said Jason Acosta, who did the research for
his thesis in history at the University of Florida.

“Hollywood really has given pirates a bum rap with its image of
bloodthirsty, one-eyed, peg-legged men who bury treasure and force
people to walk the plank,” he said. “We owe them a little more respect.”

Acosta, a descendant of a pirate who fought for the United States in the
Battle of New Orleans, studied travel narratives, court hearings,
sermons delivered at pirate hangings and firsthand accounts of
passengers held captive by pirates. Comparing pirate charters with the
Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, he said he was
amazed by the similarities.

Like the American revolutionaries, pirates developed three branches of
government with checks and balances. The ship captain was elected, just
as the U.S. president; the pirate assembly was comparable to Congress;
and the quartermaster resembled a judge in settling shipmate disputes
and preventing the captain from overstepping his authority, he said.

Colonists and pirates also were alike in emphasizing written laws,
democratic representation and due process, Acosta said. All crew members
were allowed to vote, ship charters had to be signed by every man on
board, and anyone who lost an eye or a leg was compensated financially,
he said.

These ideals grew out of both groups’ frustration at being mistreated by
their leaders; the British forced the colonists to quarter troops and
pay taxes, and captains on merchant ships beat their shipmen, starved
them and paid less than promised, Acosta said.

“It’s no wonder that many sailors seized the opportunity to jump ship
and search for a better way of life, namely piracy, which offered better
food, shorter work shifts and the power of the crew in decision-making,”
he said.

A golden age of pirating emerged in the 17th and 18th centuries as these
Brethren of the Sea sailed the world’s waterways, plundering hundreds of
millions of dollars worth of gold, silver and other merchandise, shaping
the modern world in the process, Acosta said.

Pirates mapped new territory, expanded trade routes, discovered good
ports and opened doors with the native peoples, Acosta said. “They
really helped European nations explore the Americas before Europeans
could afford to explore them on their own,” he said.

6' Pirate Captain Statue
6' Pirate Peg Leg Captain Hook $688.50 Free Shipping
www.kingofdeals.com

Pirates of the Caribbean
Model Pirate Ship - Museum Quality 27" long only $199 delivered
www.HandcraftedModelShips.com

Pirates of the Caribbean
Drink Coke® & Earn Pirates Rewards. Clothing, Posters, CDs, and More!
MyCokeRewards.com
By selling stolen silks, satins, spices and other merchandise in ports
and spending their booty in the colonies, pirates created an economic
boom, helping struggling settlements and making Port Royale in Jamaica
and Charleston, S.C., huge mercantile centers, Acosta said. “They didn’t
bury their treasure, they spent it, helping colonies survive that
couldn’t get the money and supplies they needed from Europe,” he said.

Without the infusion of money into the New World from piracy, it is
possible that Britain and France may not have been able to catch up with
Spain, Acosta said.

“Had it not been for pirates, Britain might have had trouble holding
onto the American colonies,” he said. “Pirates decimated the Spanish so
badly that Spain finally had to give up some of its American empire just
to get pirating to stop.”

Native Americans and black slaves oppressed by the Spanish in the
Caribbean gave pirates inside information on where to dock ships and
find supplies, Acosta said. Slaves fleeing plantations were welcomed on
pirate ships, where they shared an equal voice with white sailors, he said.

Acosta said he believes pirates would be given a place in the history
books if they had been able to write their stories and leave diaries
like the more literate American colonists.

A Gainesville middle school teacher, Acosta occasionally brings up
pirates in his classroom, where he has a captive audience, thanks to the
popularity of the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean,” which has a sequel
opening July 7. “I had one group of students in my class who just went
around the playground all the time saying, ‘Aaar, we’re the pirates,’”
he said.

Richard Burg, an Arizona State University professor and expert on
pirates, said Acosta is performing a great service by emphasizing
pirates’ democratic and egalitarian ways. “The men who sailed under the
skull and crossbones were ordinary folk, like America’s revolutionaries,
standing firm against oppressive governments and economic systems,” he
said. “Mr. Acosta is one of the few scholars who understand this.”