Strawberry Fields Forever Re: [FoRK] invasion was much better than Cats lets do it again and again

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed May 30 17:24:15 PDT 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 12:46 PM, Strata R. Chalup wrote:

> Just a mild neener there, usually you're not quite so quick to jump
> in vastly uninformed... or it's on threads where I don't know
> enough to figure it out.  ;-)

I'm just trying to tweak you a bit on the rather over-the-top
characterization you offered...  missed the smiley, it was intended
as a "neener" too.   Also intended to point out that you do sometimes
tend towards rather empassioned negative characterizations of such
things...  what happened, some frothy  Objectivist broke your heart
in 9th grade?

;-)

> I don't think that most things are problems created by free
> markets.  I believe that free markets cannot solve problems of a
> certain type.

Curious:  how would you characterize that certain type?

I don't think we can say what problems a free market can or cannot
solve, in the limit:  nobody's ever actually tried it.

What I *am* willing to concede (per previous thread a couple of weeks
ago) is that there's ample evidence that free markets probably cannot
solve problems of a certain type *in timeframes we find acceptable.*
But even then, it's not necessarily the free market (remember, when I
say that I'm referring to "the sum of all consensual human
interactions") that's at fault --- it may well be that the trouble we
see is in fact inherent in the particulars of our corporate system,
our regulatory apparatus (which ironically tends to transfer the
economic benefits of common goods to private interests) and property-
rights abstractions.  A non-coercive system might be possible on the
basis of a different set of basic universal agreements.

Where's Albert S. when  you need him?  Monopoly's the problem,
balkanization is the solution...! ;-)

jb