Strawberry Fields Forever Re: [FoRK] invasion was much betterthan Cats lets

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Wed May 30 18:03:24 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 03:25:46PM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:
> <snip> My own strong suspicion is that if we cut agricultural
> subsidies to zero tomorrow, it would not affect one iota the range,
> quality, availability, or price of mangoes, blueberries, cantelope,
> grapefruit, apples, potatoes, corn, or any other item grown in the
> ground that eventually makes its way to our groceries.

Pretty much.  New Zealand did that in the 80's.  Worked great.

http://www.newfarm.org/features/0303/newzealand_subsidies.shtml

  In 1982, Federated Farmers of New Zealand (New Zealand's leading farmer
  organization) submitted to the government an economic position paper
  declaring that controlling inflation, rather than compensating farmers
  for the consequences of inflation, should be the national priority.
  It is estimated that around 800 farmers--or 1% of the total number of
  commercial farmers in operation--were forced to leave the land.
  Overall the "transition period" lasted about six years, with land
  values, commodity prices, and farm profitability indices stabilizing or
  rising steadily by 1990.