[FoRK] Fox News: Divine Intervention?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Thu May 31 17:13:28 PDT 2007

So, I was flipping channels while in a travel, work, sleep deprivation
induced state and I happened upon Fox News.  Their big story was an
accident captured by a traffic video camera.  A man had just stepped out
of his pickup truck to help a woman with a flat tire.  He had walked to
the back of his pickup (maybe he parked to close to the barrier?) just
as another motorist plowed into the pickup truck, smashing it and
bouncing it off the jersey barrier, luckily a couple car lengths behind
the woman's car so she wasn't affected either.

Why oh why couldn't they just say: "That was an unlikely situation."???
Why does it have to be, verbally and in print all over the screen,
"Divine Intervention?" etc.?

I know they are the religious channel now and everything, but come on.
Do they point to every unlikely bad thing that happens to people and
say: "Divine Intervention?  I guess they deserved it in God's eyes."??
Are they really so innumerate as to believe that unlikely == God?

Even for someone religious, isn't this intellectually dishonest?