[FoRK] Fox News: Divine Intervention?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Thu May 31 19:15:18 PDT 2007

Jef Allbright wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> So, I was flipping channels while in a travel, work, sleep deprivation
>> induced state and I happened upon Fox News.  Their big story was an
>> accident captured by a traffic video camera.  A man had just stepped out
>> of his pickup truck to help a woman with a flat tire.  He had walked to
>> the back of his pickup (maybe he parked to close to the barrier?) just
>> as another motorist plowed into the pickup truck, smashing it and
>> bouncing it off the jersey barrier, luckily a couple car lengths behind
>> the woman's car so she wasn't affected either.
>>
>> Why oh why couldn't they just say: "That was an unlikely situation."???
>> Why does it have to be, verbally and in print all over the screen,
>> "Divine Intervention?" etc.?
>
> So they thought their God caused a vehicular collision -- why?

The logic in play seems to be:

The crash was going to happen anyway.  (But, being omniscient, God either knew
it was coming or decided to make it happen.  The crashing driver has free will
too, so how does that factor in?)

If a crash was going to happen on the side of the highway, it is likely to
involve the occupants of both vehicles.

Since this accident happened just after the pickup driver left the vehicle, a
couple seconds after he was clear, it was unlikely and therefore possible
(probable?) evidence that God intervened to hint the guy make the decision to
walk that way or to time the accident so that he was clear.

QED, Divine Intervention is the most likely explanation, far more newsworthy
than just commenting on the unlikely close call.