[FoRK] So much for the iPhone?

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Fri Jun 1 08:10:01 PDT 2007

The latest news seems to be that AT&T will require customers to commit to
a data plan with the iPhone. This makes sense from AT&T's perspective,
since it wants to find some way to start monetizing its investment in its
data network. And for customers who want to use the iPhone in a fashion
similar to Blackberries, it makes sense.

But -- the iPhone has wireless built into it. I suspect that hotpoints
will satisfy many customers' needs to connect to the internet with their
phone. Personally, I might bite on $500 for a cell phone that also is a
great PDA, and that also lets me browse the web over wireless. But not if
it means my monthly phone bill gets more expensive.

Of course, I might be the only geek in America who thinks this way. I was
one of the last to acquire a cell phone. ;-)