[FoRK] Ross Douthat on Secularism (vs. Atheism)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> on Fri Jun 1 08:51:49 PDT 2007

I hesitate to bring this up, but I do think this is a worthy
distinction. I wonder how many FoRKers are really more concerned
about encouraging secularism than atheism per se...

-enp

http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/06/
what_is_secularism.php

There are two strains of secularism, I would argue, which are usually
intertwined but philosophically distinct: A soft secularism that
argues for a legal separation of church and politics - no school
prayer, no federal funds for churches, etc - and a hard secularism
that militates for a complete separation of religion and politics,
and shades easily into hostility toward organized religion in a
general. But neither form precludes private belief in the
supernatural. A perfectly "secular" society would be defined not by
universal atheism, but by a religion-free politics in the short run,
and probably a long-run "decoupling," as Razib puts it, of
supernatural beliefs from religious institutions.