[FoRK] Ross Douthat on Secularism (vs. Atheism)

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Jun 1 09:00:53 PDT 2007

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> I hesitate to bring this up, but I do think this is a worthy
> distinction. I wonder how many FoRKers are really more concerned about
> encouraging secularism than atheism per se...

Both, almost independently.  Secularism, which is a key part of the founding of
the US and has been corrupted periodically in weak eras with bad leaders
(McCarthyism, Bushism), is right regardless of your supernatural belief, or the
lack thereof.

sdw