[FoRK] Ross Douthat on Secularism (vs. Atheism)

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Fri Jun 1 10:00:04 PDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
> I hesitate to bring this up, but I do think this is a worthy
> distinction. I wonder how many FoRKers are really more concerned
> about encouraging secularism than atheism per se...

Given the terminology in your post I think its safe to say we are  in
a HARD religious phase of history; jihads, moral majorities, rampant
evangelism in the gov, outright attacks on secularism, etc etc. It
would be nice if religious folks could live in a SOFT state, to live
and let live, but what we have now is a "We are gods chosen and you
either belong or get converted/marginalized/eradicated"

Why would it be a better thing for folks who are being forced to
become converted/marginalized/eradicated to be SOFT in their defense?

Come on Dr Ernine, I know you do not like the idea but a large enough
force of religious groups have called a war on both any culture,
thoughts or people who are not of their body so much so they openly
call themselves Culture Warriors, Gods Warriors, etc etc etc. It is a
repugnant position to find yourself stuck in and it should indeed
cause you a great amount of reflection and thought. Sitting down and
shutting up while the missionaries/warriors try to wipe out other
cultures and systems of thought may be the option of most ease...if
your on the side of "god".. but for the rest of us it makes very
little sense to continue to treat this as anything other than what it
is being called  by the folks who are  swinging the +5 holy maces of
"STFU and be converted/marginalized/eradicated" (save vs reason)

You want to attain a state of SOFTness all around? Stop the bombings
of clinics, the beheading of non believers,  the attack on the
schools, and the war on non religious culture.
If you believe in prayer that might be a good thing to pray on. In the
end though the choice is in each of our hands, hearts and minds. How
we treat each other as humans and not members of some particular
grouping is for me the way to tell if a person is doing good or evil.

Good night and good luck.

tomhiggins