[FoRK] Brownback defines science

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Jun 1 15:32:33 PDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Jim Whitehead <ejw at soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Atheists are fine with stating that humans are amazing. In many ways,
> humans are the most sophisticated living creatures on Earth, and this
> is measurable and demonstrable in repeatable ways. The disconnect
> comes in explaining why humans are so amazing.

  Yep!

  And you've *got* to fix that disconnect.

  That means you've got to study what's wrong with your message,
  listen to what people are hearing from y'all, and re-envisioning your
  message.

  If you're just messaging it the same way, over and over, and
  it's not working, and you just try shouting it louder--

  Well, maybe something will come of it.  Loudness does have a
  force in itself.  But I think y'all can be a little more *clever* in your
  messaging, and I think y'all can throw out what is *utterly
  unnecessary,* and obviously harmful to it.

  This whole "Y'all a bunch of chimps" business is not necessary,
  and actually harms the mission.

  You should be able to have an *obviously* life-affirming, celebratory,
  friendly, joyous message.  As it is, y'all are being interpreted as the
  exact opposite.

  So, study the message.  Study the mechanisms by which people
  are mis-understanding what you all are and what you think.  Correct
  the message, if you are serious.

  You might be a follower of atheism, rather than a leader.  If that
  is the case, (and there's no shame in that,) then deliver this message
  to your leaders, and ask them what they can do.

  If they can't fix the message, find an atheist leader who *can.*