[FoRK] Brownback defines science

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Jun 1 16:35:53 PDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Lion Kimbro" <lionkimbro at gmail.com>:
> >You want a leader who's an atheist?
>
> I don't want leaders who are atheist. I want leaders who are more thoughtful
> and educated than the leaders we now have. If we somehow manage to achieve
> that, we will get more leaders who are atheist. But it's a side effect, not
> a goal.

  I like the sound of that, and my anger is allayed.

  I do think, though, that regardless, atheists as a group could stand to give
  some critical attention to their messaging.

  Of course, that's true for every group.
  But a lot of the atheists here seem particularly thick skulled about this.
  It's like they put their hands on their ears before they start telling people
  stuff about the world.

  Atheists as an entirety can't be swayed, yes.
  But I think that FoRKers have some ability to change their minds
  about this.

  "Don't call people chimps;  That distances them from your ideas."
  There's a start.