[FoRK] Marketing atheism? No, thanks. (was: Brownback defines science)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Jun 1 16:57:31 PDT 2007

  There's no "atheist program," there's just you, and the people
  in this room.  FoRK.

  You all are accountable for what you say, and what you do.

  So, take responsibility for yourselves.  Don't worry
  about the other atheists.  Look at your own words, your own
  interactions, and the people that you are talking with.

  I'm pointing the finger at *you,* [all,] and not anybody else.

> I would like to see more people start to realize that the beliefs they
> so gained, whether in Jesus or Allah or Natural Rights or the Oneness
> of the Universe, are all a tissue of fantasy.

  This is great!

  With the exception of the Oneness of the universe,  you are right,
  and this is the starting point of your own personal inquiry,
  Russell Turpin's own quest, to understand how to communicate
  with the people who he wants to realize his message.

  (Side note: The universe is one, and not two.  If there were two,
   those two would be in some larger, one, universe.)

> What I want to increase can't be increased through marketing. It won't
> help to find better leaders.

  Actually, I'd make the argument that they can, but I like the basic
  gist of what you're saying, and won't debate these points here, now.

> It is just the intellectual journey that
> each individual makes. Or more often, fails to make. About the only
> social program I can imagine that would increase the kind of atheism
> I want to see would be to push more and deeper courses in science,
> history, and logic, and to somehow design schools that better jar
> teenagers ties to the ideologies of their parents and peer groups. But
> I don't know how to do that. Or how much it would help.

  This is **gold.**

  But I think there's a *lot* more than just, "push more and deeper
  courses in science, history, and logic, ..."

  Schools are pushing, pushing, and pushing so much, that people
  hate it.  Push, push, push.  They see that, and they reject it.

  I think the question we should be asking ourselves is:

    "How do we **INSPIRE?**"

  And, I think a good starting point might be, "What inspires *me?*"
  "Why am *I* inspired about these things?  Can that inspiration
   be shared, in a way that's in integrity with all the things I know about
   the world, at all??"