[FoRK] Final word on Gore's new book, and Bush in the bunker...

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Fri Jun 1 19:17:30 PDT 2007

Lost steam through the latter part of the book, mostly because of its
flaws.  For anybody that's been tracking the rise of the Fourth Reich
these last several years, there's nothing particularly new or
insightful here, nor is the argument, really, more than a recitation
--- sometimes shrill, often repetitive --- of the high crimes and
misdemeanors that those of us who've been paying attention are
already well aware of.  Perhaps a good overview for those that have
been living in a cave for the last several years, but it's doubtful
that they're going to be receptive to anything delivered by the
author anyway.

I really hoped for more.  There's some good prose there, and an very
comprehensive walk-through of problems and circumstances.  A decent
indictment.  But I was hoping for something a bit more penetrating
and analytical;  I'd really like to see somebody deal seriously with
the cultural trends that have created a fertile environment for the
demagoguery and manipulation Bush and the far right have worked so
effectively over the last few years.  Bush didn't create that
cultural stew;  he (or really, his puppet masters) have merely made
good use of the situation they've found.  And globally we see similar
trends;  somebody should really dig deep into this mass pathology and
what relationship that might have to the derivative rate of change;
I'd also like to see somebody really project that forward and try to
figure out what risks these related trends pose to our species
future, and what it will take to effectively mitigate those risks.

One more obligatory quote;  here Gore is succinctly making the point
that I wish so many Bush supporters could "get" apropos our foreign
policy, and the damage that's been done to it by this
administration's phenomenal lack of understanding:

   "Our moral authority is, after all, our greatest source of
enduring strength in the world."

--

In other news, this little tidbit hit the anti-Bush grapevine in the
last day or two.  It's hearsay propagated by those with an agenda,

   http://thinkprogress.org/2007/05/31/bush-wild-eyed

"[S]ome big money players up from Texas recently paid a visit to
their friend in the White House. The story goes that they got out
exactly one question, and the rest of the meeting consisted of The
President in an extended whine, a rant, actually, about no one
understands him, the critics are all messed up, if only people would
see what he’s doing things would be OK…etc., etc. This is called a
“bunker mentality” and it’s not attractive when a friend does it.
When the friend is the President of the United States, it can be
downright dangerous. Apparently the Texas friends were suitably
appalled, hence the story now in circulation."

jb