[FoRK] Brownback defines science

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Sat Jun 2 03:45:35 PDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 03:28:44AM -0700, Lion Kimbro wrote:

>  As far as I know, our net cosmic effect on the universe as a whole
>  is pretty much near zero.

So far. You're likely to see first relativistic probes leaving the
solar system. If we play it right, we have the potential to transform
at least GLYrs of real estate around us before dark energy pulls
the final curtain.

Both in quantity and quality we'd be playing the very first league.

>  I think that the human-centric attitude is to save as much life on Earth
>  as we are presently capable of saving;  Our major sins so far have

I don't think the majority gives a damn about that. The vast
majority tries to save their own ass, to feed and clothe their
children, and to give them an education. Everything else is a distant
forth and fifth.

>  been lack of information, and lack of knowledge of how to structure
>  our governments and relations in order to make sure that we can meet

Our governments reflect the capabilities of their agents. Educated and
powerful entities can recognise and fix issues bottom-up, thankyouverymuch.

>  our aims.
>
>  I believe I hold a treasure--  Not uniquely, but rather rarely,
>  and a treasure it is:  A puzzle piece on how to solve some of
>  the crazy religion--and-atheist debates that are happening in
>  our time.

It's easy enough to do -- just build a human-enhancing self-replicating
system, and dump it into the jetstream. Do you have any of that nanofairy
dust, perchance?

>  When we destroy the Earth, we destroy ourselves, and when we look

It is possible to detach yourself from the supporting ecology, but
it's hard work. And nobody's got it done yet, so we're still
vulnerable.

>  at it that way, the only course of action to be taken is obvious.

I'm glad you find it obvious -- I don't. There's a number of things
we can do, and impact of each is impossible to model accurately yet.