[FoRK] Brownback defines science

Elias Sinderson <elias at soe.ucsc.edu> on Sat Jun 2 07:58:32 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
>  I think that the human-centric attitude is to save as much life on Earth
>  as we are presently capable of saving
That would be the well-reasoned position, yes, and I commend you for
seeing it this way. In truth, however, there are a great number of
people who so firmly believe in the second coming, armageddon and all,
that they are actively making an effort to bring it about in their
lifetime so that they may be spared the pains of mortal death; being
taken bodily into heaven with the rapture and all that.

This belief manifests itself as a willful disregard, even avarice,
towards the natural environment - clear cutting forests and such. For
why should they care if the end is coming anyway (and soon)? It is very
interesting to note that some of the most fervent supporters of Israel
are born-again Christians who believe that the Jewish state is a
prerequisite to the rapture. Similar for many of those pushing the
'progressive' ideas of one-world currency and one-world government.
Strange stuff, I tell you, but unfortunately true and having a very real
and demonstrable impact on our planet.

- Elias