[FoRK] Brownback defines science

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Sun Jun 3 12:40:52 PDT 2007

> On Jun 3, 2007, at 3:52 AM, Lion Kimbro wrote:
> >  Yes;  I've followed your arguments.  You've argued them well.
> >  I respect your arguments, but we disagree on initial measurements,
>
> Really?  Which measurements would those be?

  <sigh>

  Ok, YOU said:

    "Bottom line:  by my measure, the current surge of militant
     theocracy and unreason worldwide poses an unacceptable
     risk to the future of the species."

  Let's crop that, zoom in, ...

    "Bottom line:  by my measure, ..."

  Again, ...

    "by my measure, ..."

  THOSE measurements, Jeff.  THOSE measurements.

  Feel free to ask me, "AND WHAT UNITS were I using, ... HMMMmm?!"

  Be sure to put a nice accusative spin on it, while you're at it.
  Show no weakness!  Always on the offensive, Jeff!
  Don't let your guard down, Jeff, against the hostile enemy!

> >  I'm OK with leaving it there.
>
> Note that the above is rhetorical and intended merely to underscore
> how full of crap you are;  the salient point being that the risk
> argument isn't a matter of "initial measurements" --- it's a matter
> of the probability of the risk (which can be arbitrarily low if the
> cost is high enough) and the cost of not preventing it (in which case
> you'd have to argue with Bostrom, not me.)

  --- wha?

  You think the risk is high, I think it's low.

  It's as simple as that.

  I hope that you can respect that others will have different
estimations of things.