[FoRK] Should Exist: a new UNIX shell

Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> on Sun Jun 3 21:43:59 PDT 2007

> doing so, at least once a day I find myself forced to actually drop
> down to some other tool just because I have some relatively simple
> --- yet more complicated than is suitable for e.g. bc --- numerical
> or otherwise complex computation I need to do.  Or I need a data
> structure more complicated than delimited line-oriented records.  Or
> I've got to join data that's coming from two different places /
> APIs / tools in two different formats.

Fair enough.  But I don't see enough of a pattern between these
examples to know how the shell should change.

A thing about the shell is that it's a crazy ball of mud built up over
30 years or so.  If you read the bash source you'll find things like
patches to handle the limited physical bandwidth in a VT100.  (I
realize that on FoRK there are probably at least ten people who have
read the source already, very likely including yourself, Bone).
There's a lot of value in that, so any solution with a reasonable
chance of success needs to either be a huge improvement or build on
top of the original.