[FoRK] Brownback defines science

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon Jun 4 06:40:34 PDT 2007

BTW, Lion, since you clearly can't be bothered to try to absorb the
culture around here in the course of inflicting yourself on us, let
me give you a hint.

I'm one of the "optimists" around here.  Yeah, I think there are
risks;  yeah, I think they're higher than they were, say, a decade
ago.  That doesn't make me a pessimist;  I'm not living in a bunker
somewhere with a year's supply of food and a bunch of gold coins.
Despite what you may conclude from your limited exposure to this
list, only a tiny fraction of my time and bandwidth is spent thinking
about existential risks and what to do about them.  Indeed, I'm
rather often teased about being wildly over-optimistic about my own
prospects for effective physical immortality.  But a tiny sliver or
concern about existential risk is, I think, appropriate;  and if it
takes overstating the case to raise awareness, to "shock" people out
of their complacent, myopic, short-term / static-world views --- then
it's worth it, I think.

If you want to talk to one of the pessimists, strike up a
conversation with Beberg. ;-)

jb