[FoRK] Should Exist: a new UNIX shell

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Tue Jun 5 09:51:52 PDT 2007

I am probably getting this wrong at some points, but let me see if I
can swing at this ball....

Autodiscovery of tools....well there is tab completion:)- For those
who use package managers I think a look thru the repository is a good
start. Ubuntu does a nice job of giving the pure end user the tools to
know what is, and what can be, on their system. This though supposed a
desire to know your surroundings. If you are do the make dance on your
tools them you should already know what there.

Forth- to this day my dad still raves about the forth cartridge for
his old atari 800. i used it more than a few times and yes it
rockethed in its way.

Scripting vs Programing - always seemed a daft division to me. Code is
code, though as we have learned on the farm some code is more so than
others. Tools are personal things, one persons hammer is another
persons doorstop. An everything to everyone? Thats a tough one given
the persnikity nature of both nerdeeks and endlusers.

I say all this now fully 2 years out of any job that demanded i use
any of this. Anything i have done since is purely on my own dime so I
am not feeling the crunch of need i remember back when I had to
deliver on a deadline. Maybe I need a project. Better stripper poles
in SL..say with the ability to read in xml feeds from the intertubes
so you cna keep track of the falling dollar and the rise of the beberg
nation as you are gazing at 250 prims of gyrating textures....oh yeah.

-tomhiggins