[FoRK] Should Exist: a new MULTICS

Joe Barrera <joe-fork at barrera.org> on Tue Jun 5 10:04:19 PDT 2007

Tom Higgins wrote:

>  Autodiscovery of tools....well there is tab completion:)-

When I saw this first on Twenex (never did see MULTICS in person)
I almost peed myself. I went on to add it to csh (as hmcsh, as in hmc
for Harvey Mudd College), and when I got to CMU I saw that someone
had the same idea (cmu csh). When it appeared in bash, I started
using bash and never looked back. Now even Windows cmd has it.

Tab completion is perhaps the single most important shell innovation.
(And remember, shell is a MULTICS concept.)

- Joe