[FoRK] Should Exist: a new UNIX shell

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Tue Jun 5 10:04:36 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:51:52AM -0700, Tom Higgins wrote:

> Forth- to this day my dad still raves about the forth cartridge for
> his old atari 800. i used it more than a few times and yes it
> rockethed in its way.

It's too bad OpenBoot is giving way to the usual BIOS braindeadness.
Many cool things could have happened with SPARC or Power OpenBoot
availability (or even i486/586) in cheap consumer systems.

> Scripting vs Programing - always seemed a daft division to me. Code is

Exactly. The split probably goes back to when decent IDEs where
closed-source, and expensive.

> code, though as we have learned on the farm some code is more so than
> others. Tools are personal things, one persons hammer is another
> persons doorstop. An everything to everyone? Thats a tough one given
> the persnikity nature of both nerdeeks and endlusers.

I'd assume running a GUI on top of a Forth or Lisp OS shouldn't
be that large an issue.

> I say all this now fully 2 years out of any job that demanded i use
> any of this. Anything i have done since is purely on my own dime so I

It's probably a good idea. IT has not only become boring, but also
a low-paying menial job.

> am not feeling the crunch of need i remember back when I had to
> deliver on a deadline. Maybe I need a project. Better stripper poles
> in SL..say with the ability to read in xml feeds from the intertubes
> so you cna keep track of the falling dollar and the rise of the beberg
> nation as you are gazing at 250 prims of gyrating textures....oh yeah.

Let me go back to that whole brain emulation thing...