[FoRK] Should Exist: a new UNIX shell

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Tue Jun 5 12:14:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 10:09:49AM -0700, Joe Barrera wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> > Exactly. The split probably goes back to when decent IDEs where
> > closed-source, and expensive.
>
> Now they're open-source, yet still expensive (in resources) (yes, still)

I would argue that in the case of cmForth and Novix the environment
was very productive, while extremely lean -- extrapolated to today
it would be still be a world apart from everybody else. A Hemlock-like
editor with SLIME for CL would still be considered lean, at least if compared
with crawling horrors that is Eclipse.

Too bad that alternative reality branch was stillborn. It is really nice.