[FoRK] Should Exist: a new UNIX shell

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Jun 5 14:10:26 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 12:04 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> You do realize that bash isn't the original by a long shot, yes?  I
>> haven't looked at the bash source in some time (since trying to
>> figure out how to hack variable disciplines into it several years
>> ago) but you're exactly right in that it's a giant hairball.  But
>> it's a hairball that's been stolen in bits and pieces from lots of
>> places.
>
> My impression is that it's based on sh, but I don't know why I
> think that.

Based on sh in the evolutionary sense at least.  I'm not sure what,
if any, relationship there is between the code bases, but given GNU /
GPL I would assume little to none.  But the problem here is that the
standard has become the legacy;  this thing's gathered a lot of moss
in its time.  Don't get me wrong, I still love and use bash daily;
I've long posited that more lines of code have been written in the
various UNIX shells than all other programming languages combined (if
you consider every interactive command typed at a UNIX shell prompt a
line of code.)

But we can do better at this point.

$0.02, YMMV.

jb