[FoRK] Should Exist: a new UNIX shell

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Jun 5 14:19:22 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Karl Anderson wrote:

> "Tom Higgins" <tomhiggins at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am probably getting this wrong at some points, but let me see if I
>> can swing at this ball....
>>
>> Autodiscovery of tools....well there is tab completion:)-
>
> This is a start, but hasn't worked for me for years.

fish (the Friendly Interactive Shell) actually does a good job with
this.  Turns out *all* the newer shells are pretty good at this;
it's just that the out-of-the-box completions aren't configured very
usably.  fish comes with a zillion completion schemes pre-
configured;  however, and this is one of my big complaints with fish,
it insists on handling formatting of the screen, etc. when returning
those completions.  It tries to do too much on the user interface
side of things.

But you might want to take a look at it;  it's got some good ideas.
Not quite enough critical mass of them to make me switch from bash,
but nearly enough --- and YMMV either way.

> Emacs is a little better.

It's a wonderful operating system, sure.  A little too totalitarian
for me.  (Same thing that's kept me from being a big Smalltalk fan,
in fact...)

;-)

jb