[FoRK] Re: [silk] The Demise Of The Dollar

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Jun 5 17:20:00 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

>> And remember there are real people behind those avatars. No
>> guarantee on the actual gender of that virtual vixen, you know.

Two quick anecdotes, mentioned before but worth mentioning again...
it's amusing to see waves of newbies relearn these lessons over, and
over, and over...

Back in the early MUD days --- can't recall if this was TinyMUD or
Islandia --- one of the early Fuzzy (Mike Mauldin, later of Lycos
fame) chatterbots, Julia, was actually pursued for days by a newbie
would-be suitor before he realized that she was an it.  As far as I'm
concerned, the Turing Test was passed in, oh, 1990ish.  (In 2L, most
of the "strippers" --- at least the ones just grinding on the poles,
making the circuit --- in the clubs are in full-on zombie mode, i.e.
player logs in, goes to the club, runs the script, then doesn't pay
attention for hours.  Still folks who don't understand what's going
on will try to strike up a conversation.)

Other bit, mentioned ages ago:

	http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-June/000745.html

 > Usenet newsgroup when the same loss of innocence occurred?

TinyLesbianism.  1989, TinyMUD / TinyHELL:  people used same-gender
personas,
the M/F ratio reflected reality, probably on the order of 30/1.  1990,
Islandia:  over a 3-month period, the ratio went to 40M/60F, perhaps
even higher
on the female side.  Tinysex, particularly "F/F" became de rigueur.
At some
point, most of the male geeks playing female personas having tinysex
with other
"females" realized that their partners were probably also pimply guys
hanging in
a university computer lab somewhere.  Over a period of days, the
apparent-gender
ratio reverted to something like it had been before.

Disclaimer:  I never ran a female persona on Islandia, I wasn't in
college at
the time, and I didn't have acne.  :-)

jb