[FoRK] Reporter enduser tests MetroFi in Portland.....outlook not so hot

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Thu Jun 7 10:16:50 PDT 2007

http://www.newsday.com/technology/wire/sns-ap-tech-test-muni-wi-fi,0,1997570.story?coll=sns-ap-technology-headlines

"MetroFi is designed to service folks on the ground. But from the top
of a Ferris wheel, the signal was fantastic: I briefly considered
telecommuting from there, hovering above Portland. But I'm afraid of
heights. And it's not on MetroFi's list of recommended sites anyway.

The Ferris wheel fun aside, the overall experience was frustrating."

and a great quote from one of our more active PTP members....

""It's like someone standing on stage with a microphone and someone in
the audience whispering back," said Russell Senior, one of the
wireless advocates who did the alternate test of the system."

-tomhiggins