[FoRK] SPARQL: Five-year wait for Amazon book?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Jun 8 11:55:46 PDT 2007

I think SPARQL is great, and I already think of it as being preferred over SQL
(although I have a sneaking suspicion that it does not completely subsume SQL
yet).  It is however not complete or the ultimate in a graph query language.  In
particular, it delegates many interesting capabilities, such as the effect of a
regular expression graph query capability, to hidden reasoning layers that are
implicitly invoked by a particular SPARQL query.

While an interesting way to punt for W3C, I find that unsatisfying in a couple
ways.  Still, it is kind of fun to evolve data models and queries between a pair
of developers without having to rewrite previous code, etc.

sdw