[FoRK] Poll: I would rather my daughter married a Muslim than an Atheist

Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> on Thu Jun 21 12:48:40 PDT 2007

> Hence in practice, rational advocacy is a waste of everybody's time.

And advocacy really isn't the point of it anyway.  Advocacy is a big
part of Christianity, so Christians assume that non-Christians would
have a parallel practice.

In reality, atheism is just to to not believe in the supernatural.
This disbelief includes all the various gods and theologies one might
believe in, with the Christian one part of the package.  There is no
advocacy needed.  Everything about it is obvious and self-explanatory.

That said, if I do get dragged into a conversation I generally use
Corinna's angle that 'the "truth" is really culturally dependent, and
not inherent in the Bible'.  The way I would normally express that is
that it is arrogant for any believer to be convinced that they know
what it is they are supposed to be believing.  Whether the message
that they are supposed to be believing is true and consistent in some
absolute sense is irrelevant.  What matters is whether any one
believer has successfully understood the message.

For example, a humble believer in humility would have to accept that
their belief in the value of this was based on pride in their
understanding of the underlying doctrine.