[FoRK] Poll: I would rather my daughter married a Muslim than an Atheist

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Jun 22 09:49:03 PDT 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 11:48:59PM -0700, Lion Kimbro wrote:
>

>>  "What do I want to be when I grow up," a 10 year old asks himself.
>>  Science is mute to him.
>>

> The stupid git didn't listen. I did, and the answer was quite
> easy: if you can't become a magician, become a motherfucking
> scientist! But I think I was well past that stage at 10.
> I was blowing shit up to high heavens in the first grade,
> or something.

Exactly.  Scientists and engineers and creative people (really creative,
not formulists) are pulling off magic.
> I still think it's an excellent choice, unfortunately, the
> society think a scientist is something much less than a plumber,
> or a car mechanic, at least according to what society pays to
> such.

It is sad.  It is probably a function of how rewarding the job is in
other ways.  Garbage collectors (at least those that own their own truck
/ business) are said to make a lot of money (millionaires in NYC the
story goes).  It is obvious it is because it is a crucial and constantly
needed service that no one wants to do.  The fastest way to become a
millionaire used to be to open a dry cleaning business.  How many of us
would pass up a great science job for that?  I passed up many much
better paying technical sales jobs, and even, early on, driving a truck
for UPS which would have paid several times what I was making doing what
I wanted to do.  It was probably many years before I made more than I
would have at UPS, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything.