[FoRK] Open Question: Earth vs. ______?

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Sun Jun 24 06:50:42 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro:
>For instance, 'Lack of credible evidence for God' *hardly,* in any way
>shape or form, means, 'so there's probably not a God.'"

I'm not sure that question is relevant to religious issues. The lack
of any credible evidence for the gods means that they are all much of
a muchness, in likelihood and the intellectual rigor of their
adherents. If there is something that qualifies as a god, it is just
as likely, as far as we can now tell, to be strange to ALL known
religions, as to be familiar to any of them. Being an atheist doesn't
mean one has conjured certain answers to broad, fuzzily defined, and
difficult questions. Quite the opposite. It means one views Yahweh,
Allah, Jesus, Xenu and the other currently popular gods in a fashion
similar to how one views Odin, Ahura Mazda, Astarte, leprechauns, and
the gods and supernatural beings past that are now popularly viewed as
myth. The similar "lack of credible evidence" for any of them very
much does justify that. One doesn't have to answer a hard metaphysical
question to answer an easy question about people and belief. Is there
any reason that belief in Jesus is a whit more rational than belief in
leprechauns, or that the Pope should be viewed with more respect than
someone who professes knowledge of leprechauns? No.